Sunday, May 24, 2009

State of the Public Transport

Have you ever dreaded taking public transport? Dreamt about owning your own car? How about a personal chauffer? Or more remotely, wished they somehow had perfected the transporter beam?

There are some among us who can afford but just won't find it economical to drive around. Then there are those who cannot afford buying a tyre without stressing out their budgets. The minority who can afford but chose not to for reasons other than economics, i.e. environmental, personal, etc.

One way or another, most of us are stuck with cramming up like sardines in public transport. I will narrate why I loathe the self-proclaimed "World-class" public transport. Come rush hour, you would be lucky enough to be able to step into either the train or bus. Sometimes it can be so crammed that you'd end up with your face in someone else's back, and still the people just keep cramming in!

Then there's the drivers with sh*t for brains, travelling at snail pace, picking up "phantom" passengers from deserted stops and stopping at green lights. I mean, where the heck do these people come from? Next are the other commuters that ruin your ride. The inconsiderate (or illiterate?) idiots who can't seem to get the idea the world doesn't revolve around them. I mean, is it that hard to stand aside for disembarking passengers? Can't understand why the escalators are jammed up? Chances are there's an idiot happily standing on the right/express lane. I mean come on! Even the less educated "ah-mahs" in HK can do better than you! And I haven't even got to those who "magically" fall asleep or become blind when an old lady or a pregnant one comes on board...

Just the other day on my way home, a man boarded a few stops after me and then occupied the seat beside mine. Then it hit me, right in the face. The stench of the dreaded Athlete's feet.... I was like "Whooooooooff.....!!!!! WTF!!!!". Are these people even aware of it? I guess they must take pleasure in conducting such chemical warfare on fellow commuters. By the time I disembarked, I felt like a Holocaust survivor....

Note to self, have a face mask ready in bag at all times.

Any bad personal experiences? Share them.

No comments: