Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Michael Jackson (1958 - 2009)

For a while I've been resisting my urge to write this down. It's hard to make this not sound like another regretful tribute to the passing of a great artiste, neither would I claim to be a great fan. The passing of Michael Jackson was a shock to all of us as many of us were eagerly waiting for his final curtain performances in his final tour.

I seriously did not harbour much hope of ever seeing him perform live but nevertheless, his music was the reason why I even listened to music. I can still remember singing to his tunes before my voice broke in my younger years. Sometimes I wonder if the strain actually caused my voice to break instead of puberty.

His moves enthralled me as much as his songs, many of us emulating them. I can more or less attribute many of my worn out soles to doing his signature moonwalks on the hard concrete school floor. Aching toes doing the tip-toe stand and convulsing shoulders (I don't really wanna go into that one). We tried everything saved for that gravity defying lean.

It was pretty sad seeing what happened to him when he started his fall. I honestly never believed he was guilty of all those charges brought upon him. Even though he was acquited after finally choosing to contest one of the many charges brought up, the media continued to lionised him as if he were guilty. I found it so sick and repulsive and was so disgusted that I refused to read anything the media wrote about him. It was only when his voice came up in an episode of the Simpsons while spending my time in Australia that brought all these memories back. I became a born-again MJ fan.

Now, with his passing. The media has once again reared its ugly head. I am choosing to ignore them yet again. The memory of the man and his music should remain untainted in all their glory. The voice and the moves may be gone forever but his memories and achievements shall live on forever in our hearts. Its the very least we could do.

The King is Dead. Long Live the King!

No comments: