Saturday, December 13, 2008

Pathfinder

Everyone walks along different paths. Many cross each other's paths, some walk together, others never met in their entire lives. I believe I've been choosing the path that few have chosen to travel.

Blame it on my stubborn nature and independent trait, I've always been choosing paths that has been filled with anxiety, stress and dubious (somewhat treacherous) roads.

Take for example, the first real choice I had to make, which was at the crossroads after the 'O'-level examinations. I had my mind dead set on getting into Ngee Ann Polytechnic's Biotechnology program (now called Life Sciences I believe). However, that path was made difficult by my results and I was posted to another program at another institute. I decided to fight it out with the various appeal channels. A few weeks later, my official appeal was rejected and disappointment permeated my spirit. Just a few days before I was to officially enroll into the program, I got a letter informing me my appeal through the "student leader scheme" had been successful and I am thankful today that I tried all I could to get in, because of all the wonderful people I've had the pleasure to have crossed paths with.

Another crossroads came up after that short 3 year journey. Although us guys had it better (in a sense) without having to ponder too much about our futures by deferring it for 2 and a half years while we serve our nation. Most people would have branded me as nuts but I chose to join the military as a career (albeit a short term one) with the view of saving up to further my studies. Looking back, it might still be too soon to conclude whether it was a wise choice and all. There were good times and bad, fun and boredom, tears and triumph (hey, I did conquer my fear of heights by jumping out of an aircraft so gimme some credit alright?). It wasn't an easy time I'll admit but I survived, maybe a little wiser, a little more humble and alot more aware of my own failings and limitations.

When I left the army, my path had already been determined as I jet off to Queensland for my Uni studies. Down under there were many choices to make (in the form of modules and courses) and I must say that most of what I took had brought with them valuable experiences, some of which I'd probably never have the chance to experience again (saving green turtle hatchlings anyone?). It was also there that I've chosen to embark on the most treacherous paths I've took so far...

The writer has been cut off for the time being for being too long-winded. We apologies for the inconveniences caused. ~ Editor

No comments: