Sunday, March 15, 2009

A day in the life of...

6.35am. Alarm wakes me up from my comatosed state as I drag my half-dead body up and proceeds to brush my teeth while flipping through the webpages on my PC. Then still half-awake, I hit the cold showers, dressed up, grab the bag and I'm out of the door by 7.

7.45am. Arrival at Raffles Place. Send out an sms greeting (usually unanswered) and proceed to get a packed lunch and then sit down to read the papers while waiting for bus to the ferry terminal.

9am. We reach the island as everyone slowly trudges to their respective work areas. I take some time out while waiting for the others to change and head down to the beach to do some combing. Anything interesting is collected and placed in my bag.

9.30am. We arrive at the farm where we begin our daily work routine. Boss would have messaged me 5 to 10 minutes earlier with some things that need to be done. Sit down drink some tea/coffee while giving a briefing to the guys and then its off to work.

10.30am. a) Get slapped by a 5kg fish, b) Get poked by fish spines or c) Get cuts on the hands trying to pull up the net/ropes. (The hazards, all in a days work). If we're lucky, the dolphins come by for a visit.

12pm. Hopefully work is more or less done as we break for lunch. Finish up some data recording before I hope on the boat around 1pm and head to the island to shower up. My cats (about 4 to 5 of them, and increasing) will crowd around me as I take a brief respite and play with them.

1.30pm. I plonk myself down at my desk, startup the computer and make my cup of coffee. The stuff collected from this morning goes onto my desktop "museum" as I make myself comfortable before the discomfort begins. Starting with the emails...

3pm. Battle starts with the advance of the Z monster, in spite of the caffeine. Either 1) I go take a walk or b) I go read the news at BBC/CNA.

5pm. Still smarting from the torture of sleep-deprivation, hit the kill switch of the computer and lumbers down to the jetty. The commuting time takes more than 2 hrs before I hit home. Along the way, curse and swear at the stupid drivers.

7.30pm. Hit the showers (again), sit down for dinner before parking myself in front of my computer, going through emails, some FB stuff, watch shows or just read comic while I wait (with futile written all over it) for someone to come online.

12mn. Reluctantly go off and pack up for tomorrow. Wash up and head to bed.

The writer is currently suffering from PMS (Pre-Monday Syndrome you idiots, not the other PMS) and depression. Over what? Saturday's poor match compounding the generally lousy feel since the beginning of the year.

No comments: