Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Being single is not a crime, it's a sentence...

A friend of mine recently lamented how annoying parents and relatives can be. And yes, its about that much dreaded question again. And relatives keep wondering why I never visit...

My parents never once bothered me with this, until recently my dad started dropping hints (or what I take as hints) by muttering that we're all kids until we get married. Hey, don't blame me for being single but at least I'm not a NEET (Not engaged in Education, Employment or Training). I'm still actively working and distracting myself with my hobby (cursing and swearing half the time too).

These folks don't seem to realise that it's not easy for us guys (and to be fair, girls too). Usually for my friend's case (his name is Paul), many people seldom see past his physical appearance, which in this case is his cerebral palsy, to see the good-natured and humorous person within. Now before I get accused of trying to sell him, I'm not (so no need to get all excited you Ping Pong). What I'm trying to put across is, it gets harder and harder for us guys nowadays.

One has to get past the appearance stage before your earning power comes into play. The guys has the ability to summon up extras like cars, expensive watches, etc to up his appeal. Sad to say I do not have such powers to conjure, I'm either not tall enough, not good looking enough or can't live up to the high expectations and earning capabilities you girls expect. I don't even have my own car or room for goodness sake. All I have is the sincerity and the willingness to sacrifice but apparently, it's not enough (It never is enough is it?). You can go for your ang-moh boyfriends without having to give me such excuses.

Come 30th April, I'll be on my own now as I sever my ties with the only dating agency I've joined. Call it jadedness or apathy. Behind every success story may be a woman but I just don't see myself there anymore. I think it's better that I try to haul myself out of the lower income bracket and enrol in a ninja school, or maybe get myself some noise cancelling earmuffs...

The writer has been trying to figure out how to plan for the holiday he so desperately craves. He has been fairly accident-proned recently, getting cuts, bruises and culminating in an injured foot today. It's surprising he hasn't broken any bones yet.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Pal, thanks for sharing the same viewpoint as me about this.