Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Surprise!!!

When it comes to surprises, there are two differing camps. One will love to be surprised, especially for special occassions. The other, well... simply hate them.

The ones who wants to be surprised usually feel they have been deserving of a good turn (maybe more than just one) and would love to have a pleasant surprise as a "reward" for being good, even though they've been half expecting it. Come to think of it, who won't love to have a pleasant surprise?

Now the next group comes into the picture. Those who hate being surprised. They comprise of the elderly, grouchy people and some others. The old people have weak hearts as their excuse (won't want the poor folks to die of cardiac arrest while in the midst of celebration do we?) and grouchy people aren't in the mood for anything all the time (surprising these people tend to have the opposite effect intended).

What of these "others' then? Psychologically, these people hate being surprised because it makes them feel a loss of control. They have a need to be in control of almost every aspects of their life and hence, a sense of helplessness when being caught with their pants down (well, not literally of course).

Just as to where I stand among the two groups? Well, for one I never fail to surprise people who think they know me well enough (that's just my eccentric part showing). I've always tried my best to spring surprises (mostly pleasant ones I hope) but I admit, I hate being surprised. Granted, some of those that were dropped on me were pleasant ones but majority have not left a sweet aftertaste. I also hate to be left in the dark over something that is suppose to involve me (hopefully thats not why I went into intelligence...). All in all, it just leaves me unprepared for what was to come and I hate being caught with my pants down.

Now, which camp do you belong to? Maybe I'll spring one on you.

Oh, and Many Happy Returns Birthday Girl.

The writer is currently preparing something. Hush hush....

No comments: